With a little encouragement from K. of the OCL Web Challenge Committee I decided to venture into the world of cats. Yes, I tried the WorldCat database.
I took a look around WorldCat (awful name!) and searched for a recent book title on Goldfish. I entered in the zipcode for the Berkeley Branch 08721 and found a book titled “Pet Goldfish” by Julia Barnes published in 2007.
Pet goldfish
by Julia Barnes
Type: Book; English
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : Gareth Stevens Pub., ©2007.
Edition: North American ed
ISBN: 0836867785 9780836867787
OCLC: 64511305
Unfortunately the closest library that owns the title is the Mercer County Library (NJ), followed by the Delaware County Library System (Media, PA). I clicked on the tabs such as Details and Subject and found the following information:
Item Details:
Material Type: Juvenile (no specific ages)
Document Type: Book
Description: 32 p. : col. ill. ; 24 cm.
Contents: First goldfish -- Perfect pets -- Goldfish's body -- Goldfish varieties -- Aquarium -- Tank setup -- Right choice -- Feeding goldfish -- Goldfish care -- Goldfish behavior -- Glossary -- More books to read/websites -- Index.
Responsibility Julia Barnes.
Summary/Abstract
Provides instructions and tips for keeping a goldfish as a pet, along with information about the behavior and physical characteristics of fish.
Note that WordCat says that Goldfish are ***Perfect Pets*** Although flattered, I am surprised to hear a compliment come out of a cat. Usually, a cat would come up with a snarky comment such as “Purrfect Pet: For Your Dining Pleasure.”
However, since the nearest title is located in Mercer County then I must fill out "THE FORM." I understand that it is no longer called the ILL Form, but the Request for Materials form. Yes, WorldCat will help me, Big Goldfish, in filling out the form. Not sure if it will help the customers. Oh, maybe it will help a few. There are still some secret codes on the form. For example, I know what an ISBN number is because I live with a librarian. For all you non-goldfish and non-library people an ISBN stands for “International Standard Book Number.” I often tell library customers that the ISBN is similar to the serial number of a car only it is the serial number for a book. They seem to understand that.
Any flaws with WorldCat is not the fault of you, or me, or the library customers. Remember, it was DESIGNED BY CATS! CATS ARE TRICKY! The whole thing would be much better if it was designed by GOLDFISH. Imagine a database called WorldGoldfish. Just imagine....
Friday, May 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment